Farish 372-979A Cl 24 D5053 BR Two-Tone Green Loco Weathered

Original price was: £159.95.Current price is: £109.95.

Product Description

 RRP £159.95 N Gauge Graham FarishFarish 372-979A Class 24/1 D5053 BR Two-Tone Green Loco Weathered  Brand new item from our New Yorkshire model railway shop.
MODEL FEATURES:

  • Graham Farish
  • N Scale
  • Factory Weathered
  • Accessory Pack
  • NEM Coupling Pockets
  • Directional Lighting
  • DCC Ready (NOT fitted)
  • Equipped with a 6 Pin DCC Decoder Socket

HistoryThe widely travelled British Railways Class 24 diesellocomotives, also known as the Sulzer Type 2, were built from 1958 to 1961. Onehundred and fifty-one were built at Derby, Crewe and Darlington, the firsttwenty of them as part of the British Railways 1955 Modernisation Plan. Thisclass was used as the basis for the development of the class 25 locomotives. The final survivor, no. 24081, was withdrawn from Crewe depot in 1980. Four class members are preserved. Initial deliveries were for operation in the Crewe and Derbyareas, but fifteen of the initial twenty were diverted for use on the SouthernRegion to cover for delays in the Kent Coast Electrification scheme.  As deliveries continued allocations were made to both theLondon Midland Region and Eastern Region, and with the class becoming familiarto crews and staff around London they were used on freight trains over theMetropolitan Widened Lines. Locos allocated to East Anglia for use on freightsoon became redundant due to the rundown of freight in that region, and thesewere, in turn, moved to Wales and Lancashire. Class 24s took over the ‘Condor’ fast freight servicebetween London (Hendon) and Glasgow (Gushetfaulds) in 1961. Thus the class wasalso used when a second “Condor” fast overnight freight service wasintroduced, running from Aston to Glasgow. These were the usual motive powerfrom its introduction on 17 January 1963 when D5082 hauled the Down train andD5083 the up train until replaced by the first Freightliner service in 1965. The batch D5096–D5113 were all allocated to Gateshead depotin 1966 to replace 9F steam locos on the Tyne Dock to Consett iron ore trains.These workings used a special design of bogie hopper wagon, and these locos hadan additional compressor and associated pipework. These workings, typically withloads of around 1,000 tons, were double-headed and continued until taken overby Class 37s in the 1970s, when these locos were reallocated to Scottishdepots.

Related Products